Develop It Or Use As A Social Bookmarking Site
This is a New2WP 3.0 theme framework that started out as more of a basic starter theme to use when making new WordPress themes and quickly became a bigger project than was planned. In it I have included the Sites custom post type which I wrote about in the first two parts of my OOPost Types series tutorial. With this, and many other added features make this theme truly 3.0 ready.
Well one thing led to another and it sort of became not just a theme to use as a starting point for theme developers, but it can now be used the way it is out of the box as a sort of social bookmarking type of theme. So whether you're a theme dev, or just someone looking to make a somewhat unique style WP site, you should check out 3.0 Basics.
Included in this theme are numerous features that are working and functional as soon as you activate the theme, and there's tons of various functions, code customizations, CSS and CSS3 styles and jQuery scripts that will make your life easier.
Custom Post Type
- Custom post type for submitting Sites.
- Custom page and single templates for Sites posts
- Simple site live Site screenshots generated on the fly from the URL of a posted Site. No need to upload thumbnail images.
Pre-made Nav Menus
- Pre-registered menu locations (Top, Header, Footer).
- Pre-created WP nav menus to go with each registered location.
- Default Home menu item for each menu. (prevents the default 'show all' if menu is empty).
- User login form in header
- Custom background image
- Custom dashboard styles
- CSS 3 Styling
- Ajax live screenshots and post thumbnails
- Over 50 different useful functions
- And so much more!
There's way to much to list here, so you'll have to download it and see for yourself all the great things it has, and what it's capable of doing.
3.0 Basics Theme Screenshots
Downloading 3.0 Basics
I will be adding it to the theme repository on WordPress.org and should be downloadable soon from there. I have also made a repository for it on Github, and you can download it from there now, as well as watch or fork it if you want.
Found Bugs or Have Suggestions?
This theme is not perfect of course. Here's a list of some things you may find buggy that I am working on fixing for future version releases. Please let me know of any not listed here that you come across by posting a comment below, so I can add them to this list and keep track of what needs to be done still.
Of course I am always open to suggestions, so let me know what you'd like to see included in this in the comments below as well.
* Version: 1.5.6 ~ 12/5/2010
- Updated theme to meet the requirements and suggestions from the theme review on WP.org for adding it to the WordPress theme directory.
- Added custom post type functions for the Right Now dashboard widget, and showing custom post types on the user manage panel.
- Fixed existing bugs and error Notices.
* Version: 1.5.5 ~ 8/10/2010
- First official release of this theme.
If you like this theme, be sure to recommend it, share it, tweet it, and comment below. It is still a work in progress. After all, it is a development theme. So I will be updating the repositories with new version releases.
Now that this is done, I can get back to writing part 3 of OOPost Types. If you don't want to wait for that, I'll be finishing the makings of this themes custom post type object, so you can download this and use it now.