Car Problems? Tips for Finding a Reputable Mechanic
The cost ofvaries greatly depending on the mechanic you choose, your location, your vehicle make along with a bunch of other factors. Like anything, if you are educated about vehicle repairs and maintenance you’re less likely to get “ripped off.”
Use these 6 tips to choose a reputable car mechanic.
1. Ask your friends and family. Almost everyone has had a bad experience with a car repair. It’s hard to feel like you’re not getting ripped off when you aren’t educated about that type of repair or cars in general. Friends and family that have gone through the process of sourcing and hiring a car mechanic will be more than happy to share an honest review of their experience. If they’ve had a negative experience, they will want to make sure that you don’t go through the same thing. Ask around.
2. Look online. What do online review sites say about the car mechanic you’re considering? Is there a pattern of poor customer service? Do the reviewers indicate whether they would use the mechanic again? Are there issues with cost?
3. Once you’ve narrowed down your search to three or four shops, refine your research. How long have the shops been in business? If they’ve been in business for several years you can probably assume that they have skilled mechanics that can do the job in a timely manner.
4. Are they members of national auto repair organizations? Again, membership in well-respected associations indicates a mechanic’s commitment to the industry. It also shows that they are interested in improving their skill, service and process.
5. Get a price quote. Is the moving company competitively priced? Be sure to get any quotes in writing and find out what circumstances could cause the estimated price to increase.
6. Finally, what does your gut reaction tell you? Do you an uneasy feeling at the mechanic’s shop? Do you feel like they are transparent in their process or do you feel like they have something to hide? Do they care about making you feel comfortable?
Keep in mind that if it is too daunting to find a reputable mechanic, you can always get a membership to a car repair service like mrmechanical. is a car repair program that sources reliable and cost-effective mechanics, negotiates car repairs and handles the communication with the car mechanic so you don’t have to.